Bali is a hugely popular tourist destination in Asia and it’s not hard to see why. Food and drinks are cheap, weather is good, the people are friendly and Bali does luxury hotels very well! It offers different areas depending on what you’re looking for – more remote for those seeking pure escapism, and the busier tourist areas if you want to be with the “where it’s at” crowd.
Check out a few of our top recommendations below for where to eat, drink, what to do and where to stay.
- Pearl Restaurant – a romantic fine dining experience with tables set outside amongst beautiful lighting. Not cheap but the food is really good (the beef tenderloin and lamb shank are standouts).
- Wijama Kusuma Restaurant at Ayung Resort is another great choice for romantic dinner – beautiful lighting and ambience and the staff are very friendly and welcoming.
- KO – at the Intercontinental offers an entertaining evening of teppanyaki, very enjoyable whether you are with family, friends or your partner. The KO experience set menu is amazing but you will have a lot of food! The salmon and beef in particular are outstanding.
- Mr Bob Bar and Grill – a great place to eat if you’re looking for somewhere relaxed and causal but still want great tasting food. They’re known for their ribs!
- Potato Head – the perfect place to watch the sunset over drinks – get there early though to get a good spot!
- Mrs Sippy – book yourself a daybed and head on down to this pool bar where you can easily spend the afternoon ordering cocktails and sunbathing – a great fun pool party!
- One Eighty – for a view with a difference, One Eighty is definitely worth checking out. With a glass bottomed pool extending out over the cliff face, you will get some seriously spectacular photos!
Play: Bali is perfect for relaxing – with fabulous yoga retreats, resorts and scenery, our recommendation is to take the opportunity to get some R n R! So swim, sunbathe, embrace yoga, healthy eating and walks through the forests!
- Le Meridien – if you’re after some serious bliss then book a penthouse room at Le Meridien (room 525 is the best with uninterrupted views over the ocean, two storeys and a private pool all to yourself!). If you’re not quite looking to spend that much money then go for one of the lagoon access rooms which are very spacious and you can swim straight from your room to the pool bar!
- The Padma in Ubud has the best hotel pool we have seen and it’s heated so is the perfect place to spend time whatever the weather! It’s a stunning resort, vert tranquil and make sure you take the walk down to the bamboo bridge to admire the grounds of the resort. It’s also worth considering upgrading to the club lounge benefits which include a 2 hour daily free drinks period (including alcoholic drinks), access to a special lounge and free afternoon tea.
- Legian Beach Hotel – for your own private little oasis, book a deluxe pool villa – they are beautifully decorated (the showers are enormous!) and feature a plunge pool with sun loungers where you can relax away from it all. The hotel is also well situated across the road from the beach and within easy walking distance of the markets and plenty of bars and restaurants.